April 26, 2010

The Break

Well our little girl has her first "break". It's only a green stick fracture (really it's a very tiny crack in her wrist on the xray) but it's enough to put her in a cast for 4 weeks.

She was supposed to be having a rest in her bedroom, when I heard a loud bang followed by tears. She'd fallen off a tiny table (not even 30cm high) and landed on her arm.

On initial inspection, she was saying "I can't move my arm" but about 5 minutes later, she'd stopped crying and could move arm and hand so I nearly didn't go to the doctor, but thought I should check - just in case...

I was very surprised when he said it was fractured and she would need a cast. I really expected the xray to show nothing and thought I would be written off as another case of the "over protective mother" who runs off to the doctor needlessly.

We'll here she is within hours of having the cast on - looking quite pleased with herself! Of course, we had to ring all the rellies to let them know what had happened.



A few hours into the night though and she was in tears saying, "I don't want my green stick fracture!"

These photos were taken a few days later - she had just been jumping off her slide so clearly she hasn't learnt her lesson from all this.



Being the little daredevil she is, I'm certain we're in for years of heart stopping moments, but hopefully this will be the only one requiring a cast and sling.

1 comment:

earthkissed said...

I'm not looking forward to those emergency room runs for stitches and casts!