August 25, 2008

Visitors

Over the weekend we had a lovely visit with my family. My parents brought my grandparents up with them and we all had lunch together. It was my Nan's birthday on the Friday and we were also celebrating an early Father's Day for my Dad as they are heading to Tassie for a holiday next week.

I love it when our different family generations come together and everyone shares stories. Unfortunately it doesn't happen often enough (the story telling part that is...).

This time, my Nan was telling tales about when my father and his siblings were all little and the mischief they got up to. Apparently my dad took a liking to the lead paint that was on the walls and got himself lead poisoning, and then had to drink some horrible smelling medicine.

Maybe it's just me, but I love it when they open up and talk about their lives. They just light up reliving the memories. I think when I was younger, I didn't place much value on listening to my grandparents, but the older I am, I realise that they won't be around forever and their stories are part of my history, just like our stories will be part of Dakota's history.

I now only have two grandparents, so I really treasure these little stories...





[This is an older photo of them with our daughter taken at her first birthday party in December.]

No comments: